Friday, April 27, 2007

What? The draft is back?

Well, unless you've been living under a rock or just your average Viking fan, you know that the NFL draft is coming up this weekend. Finally, after months of speculation and endless, meaningless debate over picks and mock drafts we get the real deal.

Last year I blogged about the Packers draft while it was going on, but this year I won't be able to as we have to drive 4 hours north to my sister-in-law's wedding on Saturday and I'll essentially miss the whole thing. I may get updates via radio or the newspaper so you'll have to wait until Sunday night/Monday morning for any of my thoughts.

Until then, here is what I'm thinking the Packers are going to do:

Round 1 - Robert Meachem, WR TN. 6-4 210 lbs and is pretty fast. Would stretch the field and is a great red-zone threat.

Round 2 - Zach Miller, TE ASU. Excellent receiving tight end. Could start right away.

Round 3 - Kenny Irons, RB Auburn. May not be there when they pick, but if he is he's a steal.

I think it will be an offense minded draft for day 1. The defense is fairly well set and unless TT trades down to acquire more picks (about a 70% chance of that) there really are not many players that would be good value picks where the Packers draft. The only defensive player I can see the Pack taking on day 1 would be S Eric Weddle in the 2nd round.

Enjoy the weekend and the draft all.

No comments:

Post a Comment